Can I file federal & state extensions April 15th & not have to pay my tax liability until Oct 15th?

No. Filing the federal and NYS extensions on April 15th whcih extend the filing of your tax return to o October 15th, only permit an extension to file the actual paper documents. Any tax liability due with the returns must be sent on April 15.  If not, there are penalty and interest charges assessed up until the liability is paid.  Tack that onto a hefty tax bill and you could really be significantly increasing the amount. If you need to extend the mailing of your tax documents until October, it is best to estimate any amount due and mail it on April 15.

Should I drop off my tax return information or schedule an appointment with a tax preparer?

 We usually suggest that first-time clients come in and meet with us to discuss your tax return.  We like to get to know the face that goes with the voice!  We also  suggest this if yours is a complex return with many additional schedules or extenuating circumstances such as a move, marriage, divorce, death  of spouse or business income and expenses.  However, most of our long time clients find it more convenient to mail or drop off their information.  We even have tax information mailed to our office as far away as Florida, New Mexico and Alaska! While we have extended tax hours during the filing season, our East Aurora office has a drop slot if you can’t make it to Philipps and Brooks during that timeframe. 

What are your fees?

Please know that we pride ourselves on exceptional service at what we believe to be reasonable rates.  Research has determined that our tax preparation fees are comparable to other national chains and franchises.  In certain circumstances, we have found that our rates are even less expensive than the chains.  For services other than tax preparation, the fee is based on accrued time and hourly rates.  We are  always happy to provide you with an estimate before any actual work commences. 

I'm recently married & haven't updated the SSA with my name changethis affect my income tax filing?

 While it would not have a few years ago, the IRS now will withhold a refund if you have not informed Social Security of your name change.  You will receive a notice from the IRS stating that the taxpayer identification number (SS#) does not match  the reported name of the taxpayer. You will not receive your refund until you make the change.  To save yourself some inconvenience, call for a new Social Security card as soon as you get back from the honeymoon. 

I just received a letter from the IRS (or New York State). Am I in trouble?

There are many reasons taxpayers will receive letters from the IRS/NYS and all of them are not negative.  You may hear from one of the institutions regarding a taxpayer identification number issue (see above) or because a required form became detached from your return.   Often the IRS will propose a “change” to your return thereby revising the final numbers.  These proposed changes are not always correct as the IRS can overlook certain items such as an estimated payment made the prior year.  In all cases, mail, fax or drop off a copy of your notice. We will review and analyze correspondence to determine the proper course of action. Sometimes just a phone call or a letter can rectify the matter.